Putting the pieces together



Putting the Pieces Together 




I had a blast with this project! This is how I like to introduce grid drawing in a subtle way. The students were expected to use their own style in creating a grid abstract design piece. The students did practice on a 12 box worksheet and experimented with how they wanted to incorporated their own style from smaller pieces into a whole piece of work. Each of the worksheets I created are links in the lesson plan. You can find the lesson plan here. The students started to really understand the project while they created their boxes. Some made more intentional placements than others. Below is an image of a students work that saw the big picture and was able to break it down. She knew that she had to use 6 rectangles at the end and planned everything out before she started drawing. 


Others decided to go a more abstract way (pictures will be below). This project is the first project that they students start work on. I cover a lot of information on color, line, color schemes, emphasis, balance, and composition. The students I teach that do not have elementary or jr. high art classes. When the students sign up for this I have to teach the fundamentals from the ground up. I love being able to do that because I get to help expand their mindset while having great conversations. Below are more student examples from this lesson.




Comments