Sculpture Wars-Ceramics Edition

I absolutely love this game in the classroom. It is not only a great way to motivate the students with a friendly competition but a great way to assess the students skill levels. I use this as a beginning of the semester game to see how the students use the tools and how they manipulate the clay (which some have never touched before). This is also a way to fill time before the breaks if we don't have enough time to start another project. I have a random lists of objects for the students to create. I write a time down next to the object. For example, if they are expected to sculpt a giraffe I may give them three minutes to do so. I usually keep the time limit under five minutes. The visual timer, I put on the promethium board, adds just the right amount of pressure to that the students stay motivated. Below I will run through how I introduce it to my classroom.

I introduce the day with a hello (after their bell work) and explanation of the game. I have the students get into groups, or I dictate the groups depending on the students, and have them create a team name. As they chose their teams names I pass out the tools, clay, and cups of water. I write the team names on the white board to keep track of the points. I pull the timer up on the board and put the time according to what they will create. Another example that they created, pictures below, is the principle in four minutes or a cheeseburger in two minutes. Once we get close to the end of class we clean up and learn where all of the tools belong.

Does anyone else introduce the material in a different way? I use a powerpoint to describe and lecture the day before we start the game on the material and tools, is there another way you like to introduce the tools to the class? Let me know how you introduce everything!







Comments